Friday, July 30, 2010

Williams promotion ceremony

I want to preface this by the fact that William works in a controlled building and so I am not allowed to bring a camera into the building. Now they had a wonderful man taking pictures with a camera that makes mine look like dirt, so there will be pictures, just not now. I wanted to write this now while I am feeling the glow from the ceremony and not trying to remember how it went and what we felt when we get the pictures.

William will sew on Staff Sergeant on Sunday, which by the way is our 7th wedding anniversary. Today at 7 am they had his promotion ceremony. We got up at 5:30 so we could be at his building at 6:30. William actually left before me and was practicing when I got there. Since his building is controlled, meaning you have to have a special pass to get in, this is only my 3rd time in the building. They practiced and then William and I met with the Colonel. He wanted to congratulate William on being such a great Airman and for being a good example. He talked to us about how proud he is of William and how feels it to be an honor to work with him. Then we went upstairs to the meeting room and they had all the great pomp and circumstance that is the military. A Colonel sang the nation anthem, a beautiful prayer was said, the colonel got up and recounted William career and then a they said the Non-commisioned officers creed. Then the Chief got up and shared his thoughts on William and how he now will have more responsibilities. It was wonderful. It touched me greatly to hear what these great men think of my husband. They are his examples and I know that he looks up to them for his work. Then the fun stuff started. The Colonel and Chief got the opportunity to slap the stripes on him. The Colonel got two Baseball bats to beat his old stripes off of him! They got a real cute picture of that. They put the baseball bats down and then slugged him as hard as they could in each arm at the same time! They wanted to make sure he got bruises! Then William got the opportunity to share his thoughts and gratitude to those who were there. He gave such a moving speech that I know I wasn't the only one who cried!! I saw the Colonel wiping away some tears. I really wish everyone got an opportunity to see it. It moved me and made me thankful to be part of such a great establishment. I am so proud that my husband is an Airman and that he serves his country. I am proud of his accomplishments and proud to help him along the way.

4 comments:

Carol at WRESA said...

WOW! That sounds like a great ceremony and I am so sad I couldn't have been there to witness it myself. But thank you so much for sharing all the details. He makes a momma proud!!!

Autumn said...

Congratulations Will! I am so proud of you! That does sound like an amazing ceremony! I am sure the similtanious punches were something to behold as well! ouch! You continue to not surprize me, due to what an amazing man you are! I know you will continue to be honored for what you call "just doing your job to the fullest". Your integrity and honesty are such an example to all, especially your sons! Keep up the good work! I love you! Thank you Emily for the details and support!!!

Autumn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I didn't realize that you had finished your training so soon. I wish I could of been there to see that wonderful program. Gives me ideas for my next Eagle Scout award. You know how proud you make me Son! I feel like your superiors realize what I have known for a long time. They see your untapped potential and they know what a good man you are. I know Emily does, and I'm so happy for her being able to witness this promotion.
Congratulations Son!