Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Saying Goodbye

We were able to spend an hour and a half tonight with William before he left.  I was sad because we had been told that we could stay until right before they left, but at 7:30 they kicked us out.  They then had us thinking that he would be taking off on the plane at 8:30, but I got a quick phone call at 9 saying that they would be taking off at 10:30.  I haven't heard from him since so I am going to assume that everything has gone well. 

Earlier today the Local Fox news station came and did a piece on the 99 SSS leaving for Iraq.  They chose two men to do an interview with the news casters and William was one of them.  So here is what they had on the Fox5news website.

"Nellis Airmen Depart for Middle East"

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/17386453/detail.html?taf=vegas

I hope this works.  I think you'll have to copy and paste the address.  I promise when I get the video of him I will try and post that as well.

He also got some other unexpected good news right before he left.  He was selected for the BTZ award.  BTZ stands for flying Below the Zone.  This means that he is being promoted to Senior Airman a good 8-10 months early!  We are so excited that he was recognized for this prestigious award.  He was against some very hard competition and we weren't sure what would happen so it was a very pleasant surprise.  So after November first you will need to address your letters to SrA William Bennett!!  I am so proud of my soldier!  I hardly got to talk to him tonight since he had so many well wishers!  

Tomorrow I will post pictures.  Right now I am exhausted after a night of many emotions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO WHAT DOES "FLYING BELOW THE ZONE" MEAN? DOES IT MEAN A RAISE TOO? WHAT DOES SRA MEAN IN FRONT OF HIS NAME? AM GLAD THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO SPEND SOME MORE TIME WITH HIM BEFORE HE LEFT.
EL PAPERINO AKA UNSURE ABOUT "FLYING BELOW THE ZONE" GUY